What is High Cell Count?
High “Somatic Cell Counts” occur when there is an infection of the mammary gland and udder damage caused by pathogenic bacteria. This is a natural effect when there is an increase in bacterial contamination of teats which is not countered by sound management practices. This can lead to a much greater incidence of mastitis on the farm.
How can SOMATEX help?
SOMATEX aids the restoration of the natural balance of health to the udder during lactation aiding the reduction of infection levels and improvement in milk quality by using a blend of specific natural extracts. It should be used monthly throughout the lactation to maintain udder health.
The cost of High Cell Count
High “somatic cell counts” in milk can have several consequences in relation to business profitability:
- A financial penalty can be imposed by the milk buyer
- Reduction of milk yield of 5% per 50,000 over 200,000 (Reneau J.K. 1986)
- Rejection of the milk if the level of somatic cell count exceeds the regulations
The benefits of SOMATEX
- A natural product with no disposal of milk required
- It supports the quality and quantity of the milk
- It supports the cow in times of stress, lethargy, and weakness
- Less milk yield loss